Friday 14 June 2013

Healthy Jo Equals Healthy Baby

So I started writing this post over a month ago, but due to having exams I really hadn't been doing as much exercise as I'd been planning to so it would have been a bit of a pointless and somewhat hypocritical post really. But my exams are over! So I have started exercising more :D

The reason for this is... I went to an antenatal class back in the beginning of May and we were given a leaflet stating 12 reason why you should exercise (sensibly) whilst pregnant.

They were:        
1.   Promotes a healthy lifestyle.
2.   Alliviates symptoms of pregnancy, like back ache and swelling.
3.   Sends more oxygen rich blood to the baby via the placenta.
4.   Increases endurance levels for labour.
5.   Reduces the likelihood of needing obstetric intervention like forceps and caesarean.
6.   Increases the ability to cope with labour anxiety and pain.
7.   Aids a faster recovery from labour.
8.   Improves sleep patterns, particularly in the first two trimesters.
9.   Helps you return to your pre-pregnancy weight, stamina, strength and flexibility quicker.
10. Enhances your self-esteem, body image and improves confidence.
11. Helps significantly with the treatment and recovery from post natal depression.
12. Keeps you stronger to lift and carry your baby after birth.
13. Helps you be fit enough to go up 5 flights of stairs in Valencia (this is my own addition, we have our apartment sorted for our 6 months in Spain and it is completely ideal apart from it's on the fifth floor with no lift, but it only means more exercise so it's not so much of a bad thing I hope...)



Are these not completely motivating to stay fit?! So since then I have been doing 2x1 minute planks each morning, 15 press ups and the occasional lunge or squat, however now my exams are over I have got the time to go to gym classes twice a week and Ethan wants to go swimming once a week starting next week too! He's also encouraging me to cycle into the city center rather than get the train as it only takes 25 minutes (for him!) but I haven't been able to muster up the courage to do that yet as it's really hilly on the way back :l

Healthy Jo is going to keep up this healthiness (as long as my body lets me) for a healthy baby and hopefully a far more pleasant labour, although I don't think labour could ever be described as pleasant... Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment